Protesters defend "Peace Cross"
By John Henrehan, FOX 5 Reporter
The structure is known locally as the Peace Cross, but, in fact, the 40-foot-tall piece of concrete was built in the 1920's by the American Legion as a memorial to the 49 men of Prince George's County who died in the service of their country during World War One.
The fact that it's a cross -- on government land -- bothers the American Humanist Association. "This country is a diverse one," explained the group's executive director, Roy Speckhardt. "We have Buddhists, we have Hindus, we have non-theists, and we've always had some percentage of our population that were minority religion faiths. So, representing those who have fallen with a monument that is only representative of one faith is just not universal enough."