Activism | Feminist Caucus
FC members, individually and in clusters, involve ourselves in constructive action for positive social change. We often support, sometimes lead, other organizations and groups in these endeavors. In all cases, study must preceed action. Our early steps are to pay attention to issues and problems raised, observe and gather data, analyze and compare notes. Only then do we formulate a position and strategic process from which we can mount positive and peaceful activism.
Below are listed a few of the newer issues that are in our study-to-action pipeline. With some are links to news reports, or position statements, public events, petition campaigns. FC members and AHA chapters and others are encouraged to get involved.
Pass the ERA
The AHA is endorsing the existing two-step collaborative effort, known as the 3-State Strategy. Step 1 is to pass bills in the US House and US Senate to eliminate the deadline for ratification (in the House, HJR 47; in the Senate, SJR 39). Step 2 is to get at least three more state legislatures to ratify the ERA; of 15 remaining, 7 have active campaigns in process. A nationwide awareness campaign for residents and nonresidents of the unratified states (Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri,
Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, Virginia) is underway to inspire local organizing.
Actions you can take right now:
- Contact your Congressional Delegation using the United4Equality links and tools: http://www.united4equality.
- Sign the MoveOn.org petition: http://signon.org/sign/
- Sign the Change.org petition: http://www.change.org/
petitions/support-gender- equality-pass-the-equal-right- amendment-three-state- strategy-h-j-res-47
- Write or call your favorite activists, analysts, bloggers and journalists to ask them to talk about the ERA.
- Write and talk about the ERA yourself. Share this email and visit the links above for more information.
- Willing to do more? Write to: FeministCaucusChair@
humanistsocietyofnm.orgor visit http://www. humanistsocietyofnm.org/hsnm-for ideas for local organizing. fc-era.html
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
The Feminist Caucus also endorses The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which was written in 1948 and signed by women, humanists and leaders across the globe to ensure equal rights for every individual, regardless of sex, class, race, or religion. The UDHR aims to institute societal and cultural justice, end perpetuated violence and degradation, and affirm equal pay, equal representation, and freedom from discrimination.
The FC is dedicated to further implementation of the societal, economic, and political aspects of justice as outlined by the UDHR:
- For the full UDHR document, visit: http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml
- For human rights awareness campaigns, visit: http://www.unwomen.org/
- To learn about sex-trafficking at home and abroad: http://www.polarisproject.org/
- To learn about gender representation in the media, visit Geena Davis’ Institute on Gender in Media: http://www.seejane.org
- See an opinion about violent pornography and degradation of women from fellow Humanist: http://www.americanhumanist.org/HNN/details/2012-04-a-humanist-argument-against-pornography
- Violence Against Women Act: http://www.4vawa.org/ [ Over 600 days expired and not reauthorized by current Congress ]
- A professional study linking violence and exposure to pornography: http://www.apa.org/divisions/div46/articles/malamuth.pdf
Human Egg Extraction.
The FC is participating in a collaborative effort brought to us by Humanist Heroine of 2011, Judy Norsigian, Executive Director of Our Bodies Ourselves. Detailed information along with the ready-to-copy master of the "Petition Seeking Health Registry for Human Egg Extraction & Warning on Egg Donor Ads" is here.
Syndication of World View.
The FC is leading a collaborative effort to have broadcast by more NPR and other stations Jerome McDonnel's weekday hour-long radio program that explores with hands-on experts global issues of gender justice (such a female genital cutting, sex trafficking, gender segregation practices) and other major social and economic problems. A ready-to-copy master of the "Petition for Syndication of World View" along with guidelines for its use is here.
Support the hundreds of thousands of women and girls silenced by abuse.
The FC is participating in a collaborative effort, brought to us by CARE, to empower women and girls to escape violence and unlock their vast potential to thrive and create a brighter future for themselves, their families and their communities. Please add your voice to the petition, too, and help CARE empower women and girls to break free from the vicious cycle of poverty and abuse.